Insights from Understanding Society - Social integration and cohesion at a crossroads: where to now?
We will be launching our latest edition of Understanding Society Insights, featuring new research using our UK Household Panel Study, at a policy discussion event at the Coin Street Community Centre in London on 28th January (10am-2pm).
This is an interactive policy event, bringing different insights together, and promoting a cross-sectoral conversation on a challenging area of policy. It will bring together people from local authorities, arts and cultural organisations, educationalists, civic organisations, refugee support groups, religious organisations, government departments, think tanks and academia.
The event is free to attend, but you need to register in advance.
Launch of Insights 2020
The event will see the launch of the Understanding Society Insights 2020 report. This annual publication highlights policy-relevant findings from longitudinal research that uses Understanding Society’s rich data and provides commentary from leading policy thinkers and practitioners. This year the publication profiles longitudinal evidence covering three themes: social integration; geographical mobility; and the labour market and health.
10.00 - 10.30 Registration
10.30 - 10.35 Welcome and introduction
Chair: Joy Warmington, Chief Executive, brap
10.35 - 10.50 Headline findings from Understanding Society
10.50 - 11.10 Group discussions: state of integration and cohesion
11.10 - 12.30 Panel and discussion session
- Catherine Anderson, Chief Executive Officer, Jo Cox Foundation
- Professor Adrian Favell, Chair in Sociology and Social Theory, University of Leeds and principal research investigator for Northern Exposure: Race, Nation and Disaffection in “Ordinary” Towns and Cities after Brexit
- Adeeba Malik, Deputy Chief Executive, QED Foundation
- Professor Jenny Phillimore, Professor of Migration and Superdiversity, University of Birmingham and Director of Institute for Research into Superdiversity
- Debbie Weekes Bernard, Deputy Mayor for Social Integration, Social Mobility and Community Engagement, Great London Authority
12.30 – 12.35 Closing remarks
12.35 - 14.00 Lunch, coffee and networking