British Household Panel SurveyBHPS
Nuisance calls claiming to be ‘British Household Survey’
We have recently received a number of enquiries from people who have answered telephone calls from an outfit claiming to be working on the British Household Survey.
We would like to confirm that the official British Household Panel Survey (BHPS) is no longer running and therefore we do not contact anybody to invite them to take part.
Action Fraud are aware and are working with the police to disrupt the activities of the suspected criminals. They advise to make a note of the caller’s phone number, the time of the call and to hang up and not speak to the caller or engage with them in any way. If you wish to report a nuisance call, Action Fraud’s number is 0300 123 2040. Further information is available on their website www.actionfraud.police.uk
The British Household Panel Survey began in 1991 and is a multi-purpose study whose unique value resides in the fact that:
- it follows the same representative sample of individuals – the panel – over a period of years;
- it is household-based, interviewing every adult member of sampled households;
- it contains sufficient cases for meaningful analysis of certain groups such as the elderly or lone parent families.
The wave 1 panel consists of some 5,500 households and 10,300 individuals drawn from 250 areas of Great Britain. Additional samples of 1,500 households in each of Scotland and Wales were added to the main sample in 1999, and in 2001 a sample of 2,000 households was added in Northern Ireland, making the panel suitable for UK-wide research.
- BHPS wave 18 data and documentation are available from the UK Data Archive.
- The Wave 18 BHPS online documentation, which includes pdf versions of the latest Volume A and Questionnaires, is also available.
As part of wave 18 BHPS participants were asked if they would consider joining the new, larger and more wide-ranging survey Understanding Society.
Almost 6,700 of just over 8,000 BHPS participants invited to join did so. First interviews with BHPS participants in Understanding Society were carried out in wave 2 of the study in 2010-2011.
Find out more about Understanding Society