Professor Peter Lynn takes over as new ISER Director

Professor Peter Lynn takes over as ISER Director today (Thursday 1st October 2020) from Professor Emily Grundy, who will be continuing as Research Professor with the Institute.

Professor Lynn is a world-renowned survey methodologist, Fellow of the Academy of the Social Sciences and ex-President of the International Association of Survey Statisticians. He has served as a consultant to bodies ranging from the Office for National Statistics to the European Central Bank. As Associate Director for Survey Methods for Understanding Society he has led ground-breaking new research that has influenced the design of many major surveys around the world. His research interests encompass all aspects of survey methodology, with a particular focus on methods for longitudinal surveys.

Vice Chancellor of the University of Essex, Professor Anthony Forster, said: “I am absolutely delighted to welcome Professor Peter Lynn as the next Director of ISER. The world-renowned social science research taking place at ISER, one of Essex’s flagship research institutes, was recognised by a Queen’s Anniversary Prize and continues to have a major impact on government policy both in the UK and beyond. Professor Lynn takes over at a crucial moment for authoritative data-driven research evidence. ISER’s work will be incredibly important in the development of effective policy-making in a world forever changed by Covid-19.”

Professor Lynn said, “I am honoured to have been entrusted with responsibility for one of the world’s leading multi-disciplinary social science research institutes. I look forward to helping ISER to achieve even greater successes in the future.”

Professore Emily Grundy said; ‘’I have reached the end of my term as Director of ISER, although I will be staying on in the Institute and am looking forward to having more time for research. I am very grateful to all those who have helped and supported me over the past three years. I am delighted to be handing over to Professor Peter Lynn who is ISER’s longest-serving Professor and admirably equipped to take on the Directorship.’’

News

Latest findings, new research

Publications search

Search all research by subject and author

Podcasts

Researchers discuss their findings and what they mean for society

Projects

Background and context, methods and data, aims and outputs

Events

Conferences, seminars and workshops

Survey methodology

Specialist research, practice and study

Taking the long view

ISER's annual report

Themes

Key research themes and areas of interest