Dr Gundi Knies Research Fellow
- 01206 872734
- subjective well-being, life satisfaction and happiness
- neighbourhoods and community
- poverty and income inequality
- social disadvantage and social inequalities
- consent to linking administrative records to survey data
I am a quantitative researcher with training and research experience in Economics, Social Policy and Sociology. I have experience undertaking income distribution/poverty, life satisfaction and neighbourhood effects analysis using a range of datasets, including the German Socio-economic Panel (SOEP) and the British Household Panel Study (BHPS). I am interested in research around what it is that makes people satisfied with their lives. My main focus lies on the whether and how the local context enhances or hinders people's life chances.
My current research centers around the relationship between where people live and how this impacts their well-being. I am also interested in exciting innovative data collections and am involved in a number of projects that are looking to analyse data from longitudinal studies and administrative records.
I am member of the design and implementation team of Understanding Society. I am editor of the study user guide and quality profile and am involved with training researchers in using the BHPS and Understanding Society data. I am managing added value content such as derived variables and a number of linked data sets.
Some highlights of my work ...
- My work shows that low pay pays off only for the unemployed in high unemployment areas.
- whether we like it or not, the research evidence on physical attractiveness on employment outcome is overwhelming
- The latest data from Understanding Society is out! The User Guide has also been revamped.
- Read more about my involvement in "The Happiness Project" and see reviews about the sold out performances!
- Read more about how Internet use, mobility affect personal relationships with neighbors and family
Latest Blog Posts
Displaying publications 1 - 15 of 60 in total
Displaying media publications 1 - 15 of 56 in total